Saturday, January 5, 2013

Inspirational Teacher

Everyone of us has that one teacher that stood out from our childhood/adolescent teachers. For me, there were two. The first, Mrs. Daisy McKenzie, who inspired me to reach higher than I've ever reached for my goals and to never ever loose sight of those goals. I've mentioned her many times to employers, in college entrance essays and scholarship applications.

There was however, another teacher that stood out just as well. One who stood out so much she even had the same hair color as me. In fact, I'm pretty well convinced that 90% of the student body believed she was my mother. To this day, if I am anywhere near Quitman School District I still get asked if we are related. Over time, she and I just kind of adopted each other.

I never mentioned her in entrance essays or in job interviews, but I can't even begin to tell you what an inspiration she was to me or how much of an impact she left on my life.

She was an incredible teacher. She made learning so much fun and she always had the coolest ideas for assignments. The one assignment that sticks out the most in my mind is one where we made commercials. I want to say it was somehow tied into the story of  "Beowulf," but after eleven plus years, it's kinda hard to remember.

Other than being a teacher, she was also one of my S.A.D.D sponsors. Here again, she was always full of enthusiasm and excitement and made every meeting fun. The thing I liked most about her though was the fact that she always looked out for everyone, and I think deep down, she had a deep love and huge heart for underdogs like me.

I wasn't in the popular crowd in school and I definitely didn't fit in. Slightly over weight, awkward and shy would've summed me up in a nutshell. That didn't matter to this teacher, however. She saw past all that, encouraged me (and others for that matter) to believe in myself and she in her own way taught me how to be better than rumors and name-calling. She really did become like a second mother to me.

Over the years, I grew up, went to college, got married, had kids, and life went on as did hers, but I never forgot the impact she left in my life or the life lessons I learned from her class or in S.A.D.D.. I've tried to maintain contact with her, and could've honestly probably done a much better job, but as most of us are human and just tend to get "busy," I too lost track of time.

This teacher is Mrs. Lynne Smith. Most of you know her well as most of you who are anywhere near my age probably at one point had her as a teacher if you lived in the Quitman School District.

She has stayed on my heart since the day I heard the news that her little girl, Eden, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. As a mother of three children, I cannot even begin to imagine what most be going through Lynne's mind. They are in the process of packing for St. Jude today.

I do not know what the future holds for this family, but what I do know is that there is a God far larger than this. Furthermore I believe he has his arms around Lynne and Eden and the rest of their family, and I am convinced he is with the medical staff that is awaiting their arrival at St. Jude. 

I am asking for your support for this family whether it be prayer, encouraging words, or participating in the benefit that friends and family are planning for next Saturday. I am posting this blog on her wall so that she can read this as well and if you'd like to leave a comment for her here, please do so. 

I have also attached information (click it to see a larger image) regarding the benefit. If you need further info, please contact me at: aprilswancey@hotmail.com

‘Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment