Tuesday, May 22, 2012

One Year Already?!


This is me. April Swancey, Agent and AUM for the Troy Dew branch in Meridian MS. I work for a life insurance company but not just any company, Liberty National Life Insurance Company.

So what makes us unique?
We are 112 years strong. We are built up of a dynamic group of people from all different walks in life. We are LEADERS. We are driven, hardworking everyday people who see a need for protecting families and their futures. We are SUPERHEROES.

The crazy part about it all is, well, almost a year ago today, I was sitting at home facing the unthinkable, never imagining that I, April Swancey, graduate of MSU with a B.A in Child and Adolescent Psychology would become an insurance agent.

Nearly a year ago today, I was sitting in the doctors office when I recived a phonecall that changed mine and my family's lives forever. My husband informed me he was about to loose his job. My heart dropped and I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. Panic took over my body. And I did everything possible to keep from having a meltdown smack in the middle of the doctor's office.

Sitting in my car that afternoon I began to cry. I feared the worst. We had 3 kids under the age of 5. I had no job at the time, I feared loosing EVERYTHING.

Just two days prior, Troy had called me in for an interview for a company called Liberty National. My first thought was that there was no way in a million years I could ever sell insurance, so I immediately turned him down.

As I sat in that car that afternoon, my phone began to rang. The number was the same number that had just called me two days prior about a career opprotunity with LNL. Out of fear of the unknown, I agreed to come in and talk with Troy.

The day of the interview, I remember thinking to myself I would only stick with it for as long as I needed. That there was no way you could ever convince me to do this long term. I signed the contract and the day I went to work, my husband offically became unemployed.

I remember getting the call and being in the car with my UM. Tears filled my eyes, and once again all I could think about were the 3 little faces sitting at home waiting for me. I told my UM that day I didn't care what we had to do, but we had to figure out a way for my family to surtvive and that I was willing to work as long, as late and as hard as possible to acheieve that.

The next few weeks were the scariest weeks of my life. We had to rely on food stamps for the first time ever. But all the while my coworkers kept me motivated. They were some of my biggest cheerleaders. They reminded me everyday of why I was out there doing what I was doing and before I knew it, I fell in love with my career.

Within a month, we managed to get off of the food stamps. My income became enough for us to survive on without my husbands unemployment. He began his career search and soon landed a job better than the one he had before.

This past year my husband and I have done more things as a family than we've ever done. We've been on numerous trips, gone out to eat millions of times, were able to have a night out with just me and him overnight for the FIRST TIME EVER since we married nearly 5 years ago, bought things for our children we used to could only dream of and we owe it to God first, but to LNL second.

As I look back at the past year, I am blessed beyond belief. I have been blessed with coworkers who were a shoulder to cry on when worse came to worse, gave me an extra push when I felt like I just couldn't go on, and were cheering me on when I accomplished the unthinkable.

This has truly been one of the best years of my life and for the first time in a long time I can honestly say I truly love my career. My coworkers are my second family and my clients are some of the sweetest most down to earth people you could ever meet. My job doesn't feel like a job. My career has forever more changed my life.

On June 10, 2012 I will offically celebrate my one year anniversary with the company. If you have played a part in my success in any way, thank you. Thank you for believing in me, encouraging me, praying for me, and hanging in there with me. Without you, I wouldn't have made it this far. I am so thankful that LNL took a leap of faith on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment